It is all too often that SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point is called to a biohazard cleanup site. Most of the time the clean up with be sewage related water from toilets or a sewer back up, some sort of drug related clean up from a drug bust, Animal infestation, hoarding or chemical spills. Every so often SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point is called to a job site that comes with a very particular background: Death.
Recently we were called to a job site where a young man was found dead in his home. We were not sure just what steps the family wanted to take, but we were informed that they wanted the affected area cleaned up immediately. We were hired on the spot for both sanitation and repairs and were able to get the job done from start to finish within a week. We pulled flooring where it was affected, sanitized it, and replaced all flooring and boarding that needed to be replaced. We returned the key of the deceased back to his next of kin and thought nothing else of it. We have done many jobs similar to this and have completed each one as swiftly and professionally as we can in order to accommodate the family and friends of those left behind by the deceased.
Yesterday we received a thank you call from the father of the deceased. He was impressed and thankful that we were able to take this stress off his shoulders while he and his wife were in the midst of the grieving process. It isn’t often that SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point is called to jobs like this, but we were happy to help this family in their time of need. If you find yourself in a similar situation, please consider us to help your family by giving us a call at 949-831-6201 or visit our website here.
It doesn’t go without saying that all of our employees are hardworking individuals who strive daily to bring forth the best customer service in water/fire restoration and mold remediation. In the month of July 2016 we asked our Crew Chiefs and Project Managers to put forth the name of one of our technicians who was going above and beyond the call of SERVPRO Ready. With unanimous vote and second thought, there was a clear winner that our July Employee of the Month would be Mr. Blas. Among the crew members the stories shared of just how far he goes to care for customers belongings and how quickly and effectively he is able to perform his work duties on the daily really made it clear that Mr. Blas was an employee we are lucky to have. Thanks Mr. Blas for being the hard worker you are and we hope you enjoy the special SERVPRO goodies.
At the start of every year SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point lays in front of us a list of community services we would like to be involved in, either as sponsors, volunteers or organizers. With the year half over we have to go back and see our list and start checking some off. So far, we are happy to report that we have quite a few checked off our list:
- Race on the Base 2016 in Los Alamitos proved to be both exciting and helpful. Some of our employees were challenge to run in a 10K (6.2 miles) to help benefit the Wounded Warrior & Rock for Vets Charity projects through the Los Alamitos Air Force Base.
- OC Trail Runin Irvine pushed out employees even further to help raise awareness and funds to support the Irvine Ranch Conservancy. Running a total of 7.1 miles through the trails of the Irvine wild life really helped our SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point employees connect with Mother Nature.
- Continuing with the theme to pushing the limits, a few of our employees ran in the Southern California Terrain Race in Lake Elsinore. It was a 5K (3.1 miles), but it included over 15 obstacles such as rope climbing, wall jumping and getting down in the dirty mud. This community services was purely driven to help promote healthy life styles for everyone in our communities.
- Finally coming back closer to home, SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point took part in the Los Angeles City of Anaheim Angels 5K and fun Run to help benefit the Angel fund. The Angel fund included involvement with the improvement of Education, Healthcare, Art & Sciences and community related involvement for the youth in the Anaheim area.
- After helping kids in Anaheim we went to Long Beach to do the Wrigley River Run 10K that helped raise funds for at risk youth in the Long Beach area through the Long Beach Neighborhood Foundation (LBNF).
- Finally we recently were able to zone in on helping a community of people that is really close. The Hemophilia Walk in Los Angeles was amazing and helped to raise funds and awareness for those with various levels of Hemophilia.
We have many more community involved runs, charities and events coming up through the next couple of months, so be sure to check in on our SERVPRO team and our events here. If you would like to get involved with us feel free to contact us at 949-831-6201 or online here. We would love to be more involved with our communities in and outside the Anaheim Area. To see a few snap shots of the fun we had in helping our communities, check out our pictures here.
Within 48 hours after a fire damage, the difference between restoring and replacing your property and belongs largely relies upon who you call upon for help after the local Fire Department has done their job. SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide a timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, soot and even help with the drying of your home from the water used by Firemen to put out the flames. Our services also can include removal of unwanted smells and issues from contents and documents such as clothing, furniture, pictures, children’s toys, kitchen ware and a variety of other household items.
To stay informed, here are a few helpful tips of what to do until SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point arrives after your home or place of business has been set aflame:
- Limit the amount of movement of items and within the affected area to help prevent soot particles from spreading any additional damage.
- Place clean towels or linens on areas of high traffic. These can go on rugs, furniture, upholstery, etc.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil if you have either on hand. It will help to decrease the rusty look that metals can get from smoke and soot damage.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet so to help prevent any water damage crawling up your home’s household items.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces, this is the same for any shampooing of carpets or upholstery. Each and every fiber reacts differently and we are trained to handle them all.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment. Let a professional handle these items.
- Don’t send clothing to a dry cleaner since not all dry cleaners are trained in smoke odor removal.
SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point is very familiar with the overwhelming of emotions that come with having a fire damage emergency. Fear, uncertainty, stress, doubt and even anger all come from not knowing what steps to take next in the event of such an emergency. With over 10 years in the business, let SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point help relieve a lot of these emotions and help walk you through each step toward total restoration of your home or office.
Call us today or any time for help at (949)-831-6201 or contact us here.
SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point recently had the opportunity to go out to a job site in Newport Beach as a consultant for an insurance company. We arrived at the customer’s home to inspect the work of another restoration company that on been on site for several hours. The customer had a supply line to the toilet in the upstairs bathroom burst earlier that day. The water flooded the bathroom and a family room below. The carpet on both levels was soaking wet. The furniture was sitting on the soaking wet carpet.
The restoration company (Service First Restoration) had not even bothered to extract the water from the carpet or move the furniture from the carpet itself. When I asked them why, the technician in charge on site stated that the extractor was too heavy for him to lift by himself. They had sent over only one technician to the job site. I recommended to the customer to get extraction immediately. Then the story changed. The technician said he didn’t even have an extractor on his truck. He said he would use a “shop vac” to extract the water from the carpet. These “shop vacs” are cheap and inexpensive and never get the job done properly, especially for the large loss this customer was going through at this time. That should have been the first red flag for the insured. The “restoration company” didn’t even have the correct tools to correctly remove the water.
The customer also had an extensive collection of displayed fine China and figurines worth thousands of dollars each. This is where the second red flag was waved. The restoration company didn’t do contents handling. They were going to call another company to handle it for them instead of having their own employees be trained and handle it right away.
Red Flag number three came as an extension to red flag #2; the “contents company” (Alpha) that was being brought on started talking about taking all the contents off site and wanted to bill thousands of dollars to store goods that the homeowner could have stored right on site.
After all of these red flags the customer decided she had enough and asked the other restoration company to leave. SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point took over the project, started extraction of the moisture from the carpet straight away with the correct equipment. Expertly packing the fine China and figurines and leaving them on site in the customer’s care and to the customer’s liking. We minimized the amount of damage and cost involved. Then we set up containment for drying and dust control and properly dried out the structure. Once this was complete, the restoration and repairs estimate was prepared and executed on time and on budget so as to benefit the customer entirely.
Give SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point a call at (949)-831-6201 or contact us online here.
Recently SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point responded to a water damage caused by a plumber working on a separate area of the building. The building was a multiunit apartment complex. This plumber was fixing a pipe that had burst in the slab. They had rerouted the line through the walls and had just turned the water back on, when disaster struck. Immediately after he turned the water back on a supply line under the kitchen sink burst, causing it to flood the upstairs apartment and cascaded down into the two apartments below.
The plumber, who also performs water damage restoration, tried to send their crews out and bill the owners insurance company. However, when the claim was reported SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point was dispatched immediately. The restoration crew that the plumber had sent out was not capable of performing the job correctly. They gave no consideration to possible asbestos testing or abatement being needed. In addition, they did not have the correct tools to properly diagnose the extent of the water damage. They simply wanted to cut out all the dry wall in the entire unit and set up lots of equipment to dry the framing. Doing so would have displaced the families in all three affected apartments.
SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point was able to help avoid an even larger disaster. We were able to dry most of the affected areas in place as well as prevented the families in the apartments from having to be moved out. This saved the insurance company and the building owner THOUSANDS of dollars in unnecessary expenses. Every day we see plumbing companies trying to start a division which does water damage restoration. Most of these companies do not have the first clue as to how to properly dry down a structure, minimize damage and prevent any further environmental exposures. They seem to think that all you have to do is set up air movers and dehumidifiers and bill the insurance company large amounts of money. So the next time you have a slide of water damage in your building, call the people who know how to get the job done right the first time and don’t have dollar signs in their eyes.
Call today at 949-831-6201 or contact us online here.
Check out a list of our qualifications here.
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. It either is too clogged to get proper ventilation or it is pushing around things that can cause more harm than good throughout the office or home. If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating a number of things that cause employees to be at health risk, such as: dust, pollen, odors, dirt/debris and other contaminants.
SERVPRO of Laguna Beach / Dana Point can help with routinely inspect the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment and the people who work or live in the building.
Whenever a cleaning isn’t required, we will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, call us today, (949) 831-6201 or feel free to contact us here.