When purchasing a home for your family, one would hope that the home is in good condition and safe from all pollutants. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. SERVPRO of Dana Point was recently contacted by a local homeowner who was reaching out to us after noticing some discoloration in the flooring of his closet. He thought it might be related to a water leak of some sort. The sad result was that some water in the floor wasn’t the only thing that was discovered.
In an effort to sell the home the prior home owner had remodeled the bathrooms. The shower was improperly built using drywall and then tiling over the drywall. This type of installation is incorrect and will not hold water. Needless to say, every time they used the shower, the drywall was saturated in moisture. Once it reached maximum saturation the water then started to leak into other rooms, including the kitchen, lower bathroom, living room, adjacent bedroom and pantry. Capillary action caused the water to wick up the drywall and into other semi-porous building materials of the home. The constant supply of water and building material acted as a type of food source for the mold to be amplified. Extensive mold remediation had to be done throughout the home.
The process: Immediately, containment was set up with HEPA filtration and negative air pressure. The drywall, wood flooring, baseboard, door jambs and cabinetry all had to be removed and properly disposed of, with careful consideration being given so as to avoid cross contaminating the unaffected areas of the home. Mold growth on the framing was extensive. The framing was cleaned, sanded and HEPA vacuumed several times over to remove the extensive mold build up. After the physical removal of the mold the contained area was cleaned using wet wipe methods and HEPA vacuuming to ensure the removal of all mold spores that could be in the air or settled on other services.
Once the clean up process was complete an Industrial Hygienist then collected tape lifts and air samples to be examined in the laboratory. This is done to determine if the home is safe for the home owner and his family to return. The Industrial Hygienist gave the all clear and the homeowner and his family were able to move back home promptly. Over the next six weeks we performed extensive reconstruction to help this family get their kitchen and bathrooms back. Using the correct shower building methods of water proofing, mortar bed and tile installation to prevent this type of damage from ever happening again, SERVPRO of Dana Point was able to help the Harper family return to the place they called home, safely and free from mold.
For further information on mold, Click Here or give us a call 24/7 at 949-831-6201. Se Habla Espanol