Within 48 hours after a fire damage, the difference between restoring and replacing your property and belongs largely relies upon who you call upon for help after the local Fire Department has done their job. SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide a timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, soot and even help with the drying of your home from the water used by Firemen to put out the flames. Our services also can include removal of unwanted smells and issues from contents and documents such as clothing, furniture, pictures, children’s toys, kitchen ware and a variety of other household items.
To stay informed, here are a few helpful tips of what to do until SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point arrives after your home or place of business has been set aflame:
- Limit the amount of movement of items and within the affected area to help prevent soot particles from spreading any additional damage.
- Place clean towels or linens on areas of high traffic. These can go on rugs, furniture, upholstery, etc.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil if you have either on hand. It will help to decrease the rusty look that metals can get from smoke and soot damage.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet so to help prevent any water damage crawling up your home’s household items.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces, this is the same for any shampooing of carpets or upholstery. Each and every fiber reacts differently and we are trained to handle them all.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment. Let a professional handle these items.
- Don’t send clothing to a dry cleaner since not all dry cleaners are trained in smoke odor removal.
SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point is very familiar with the overwhelming of emotions that come with having a fire damage emergency. Fear, uncertainty, stress, doubt and even anger all come from not knowing what steps to take next in the event of such an emergency. With over 10 years in the business, let SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point help relieve a lot of these emotions and help walk you through each step toward total restoration of your home or office.
Call us today or any time for help at (949)-831-6201 or contact us here.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Laguna Beach/Dana Point will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 949-831-6201 or visit our site at Servpro of Laguna Beach
Fire safety is often talked about, but rarely practiced. We learn about fire drills in school as children, but we don’t practice about them at home or work when we become adults. We assume that somewhere deep within us we will have that memory stored for the day a fire emergency arises and we will be able to respond accordingly. THIS IS FALSE! Fire safety should be discussed and practiced at least four times a year (once every quarter). Here are a few things that should be done to ensure that you don’t panic when disaster strikes.
- Check the batteries in your fire alarms every three months. Each and every home fire alarm has a “TEST” button. A simple push of it will give you an idea if the batteries are full of power or dying out. Always consult your owner’s manual for your specific fire alarm.
- Have an exit route planned, at home and at the office. Generally professional building will have fire exit paths marked, but don’t count on it. Be alert and know your exits at the office so you can get home safely. When at home, practice with your kids at least once a year and discuss the fire safety rules at least twice a year. Making sure that your children are safe is every parents top priority, and making sure that we are able to help in case of emergency is ours.
- Don’t just buy a fire extinguisher, know how to use it. Don’t wait for a fire to happen and think that reading the instructions as the fire is burning will play out like it does in the movies. You can’t just have the equipment ready, you should know how to use it so when an emergency arises you are not wasting precious seconds reading the “how to” when you could be getting the fire out.
- Have your numbers ready. If a fire disaster should strike, know who to call once fire is contained. Whether it is the fire department that put out the fire or you were able to contain that kitchen grease fire within your home, be sure to call the correct people to help you get your life back to normal. We are here for this step and every step afterward until the job is done. Save our number in your phone and you’ll be glad you did. 949-566-8887